News Bulletins & Highlights
- NEW 5/21/13 ZeroOff presentation noted by Al Harris
- There is excellent new material on ZeroOff Rev R now on the USAWS 3 Event website under "Towboats & Speed Control." The material includes a clinic presentation on ZO that is the best ever, plus info on the new Nautique screen interface and other useful stuff. Credit to Will Bush for the highly excellent clinic presentation.
- 2/15/13 Mass. WaterSki Association seeking historical info
- Attention all Massachusetts skiers and former Massachusetts skiers. Mike Tilton and Dave Allen are undergoing an effort to compile, post, and maintain state records for slalom, trick and jump. Unfortunately this has not been done in many, many years and all previous data was lost. We are starting with scores from the past 10 years as provided by the AWSA Ranking List that gives us a good start and we are looking to supplement this information with scores from past regional guide standings and submissions from folks that have reliable memories. Also, our data from the last 10 years only includes skiers that are currently registered as Massachusetts USAWS members, therefore if anyone has a score they would like to submit from a skier not currently a Mass resident but was at the time of the score that would be acceptable. Scores can be submitted to Dave Allen or Mike Tilton.
- 2/15/13 Tournament Scores page updated
- Although scores are no longer posted here (see USA WaterSki), live scoring, score recaps, and trick videos are now posted at different resources accessible from the tournament scores page.
- 2/9/13 Q&Ps Posted For U.S. Water Ski Teams
- The qualifications and procedures for selecting respective U.S. water ski teams competing in international tournaments in 2013 and 2014 are now available in the Athletes' Resources section (located on the left-side menu of the USA Water Ski Web site).
- 1/23/13 Drivers
- USA Water Ski Trained Boat Drivers and Sport Discipline-rated Drivers Who Received Their Driver Rating before April 1, 2012: Beginning 1/1/2013, all drivers who received their rating prior to April 1, 2012, must submit to and pass a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Review before 12/31/2013, and every two (2) years thereafter, as part of their quantitative requirements to renew their driver rating. USA Water Ski will send an e-mail reminder to all affected drivers in 2013. Drivers who wish to complete their MVR Review prior to being notified may follow the instructions provided here.
- 1/22/13 2013 Tournament Schedule posted
- 12/13/12 Officials Needed for Regionals and Nationals
- OFFICIALS -- PLEASE NOTE -- If you are interested in and willing to work at Regionals and/or Nationals, please e-mail Pat Byrne to express your interest. The Officials who work at Regionals and who represent the Eastern Region at Nationals will be selected at the winter meeting.
- 12/9/12 2013 Winter Meeting Announced
- 12/3/12 — Bill Fosbenner requests that we start sanctioning our tournaments ASAP
- 9/28/12 — Mark Rossi passed away
- Mark Rossi, father of Chris and Tony, and brother of Alan (deceased), passed away Saturday with family at his side. Mark was a pioneer in establishing tournament water skiing in Vermont and had a lasting impact on our sport. He was a devoted family man and a friend to all.
Mark's obituary can be viewed here. His life will be remembered and celebrated tomorrow, Sept. 29, at 11 a.m.. in the East Barre Congregational Church. There are no calling hours. Be in touch if you need directions.
- 9/28/12 — Update on Congratulations to Quinn Haines!
- Quinn won the under 13 jump event with a 127' jump!
He was 6th in trick, 3rd in slalom, and #2 overall at the Pan Am Championships.
Following is the link to the results & video clips...
- 9/12/12 — Congratulations to Quinn Haines!
- Quinn won slalom and jump titles at the 2012 Can Am Championships in a winning effort for United States under 13 team.
Article and results of the tournament:
- 8/16/12 — Russell Cole passed away
- Russ Cole died suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday, August 10. He is survived by his beloved wife of 26 years, Elizabeth "DeeDee" (Hillard) Cole and his son, Randy Cole, M1 competitor. Russ was from Holden, MA, and was a M5 slalom and trick competitor. In addition to enjoying free-skiing at Long Pond in Rutland, MA, he spent much time at Adams Pond in Oakham, MA and at Pangaea in NY skiing and helping in countless ways. He will be sorely missed by the many people whose lives he touched. Obituary.
- 8/8/12 — 2012 Eastern Regionals Scorebook
- 8/5/12 — Pat Byrne offers thanks
- Thanks again to everyone for making the 2012 Eastern Regional Championship Tournament a fantastic and most memorable event. The Organizing Committee and their army of volunteers did a fantastic job of preparing for the event and reacting as needed during the event. The Officials did a great job in executing the tournament and muscling through any and all technical issues to deliver the end result. George's passion and love for his paradise is evident everywhere you look and in everything you experience while you are at the site. Great, great, great job everyone. Thank you!
- NEW 8/5/12 — Chris Rossi 2nd at Malibu Open
- 7/31/12 — 100th Tournament Celebration at John's Lake
- A plaque was given to John Autore and his family for the many years of dedication to waterskiing and their
100 waterski tournaments at John's Lake.
- 7/19/12 — Safety Clinic at Pangaea Regionals 8/3
- Safety Clinic to be offered by Pat Byrne on Friday, August 3rd at Pangaea Regionals in Canajoharie. He can hold it at the end of the ski day or fit it in during the competition day. Please contact Pat with your interest and what time of day your preference would be. Cell: 860-205-4182.
- 7/19/12 — New Judging Rule related to minimum speed and qualification
- 7/19/12 — Skier Clinic at Pangaea 7/20
- Mike Shelhamer has coordinated a clinic with Karen Stevens (Mark Stevens daughter, Mark was our pan am judge from Canada last year).
Karen is skiing the pro tour and is ranked top 10 internationally, she's proven to be great with kids.
The clinic will occur on Friday (7/20) with the Pre Regional Tournament happening that weekend - so this is a great opportunity to get some coaching then hit the water for the tournament! Price will be $40 for kids and $50 for old kids. Contact Mike.
- 7/11/12 — AWSA President
- AWSA is open for nominations for President. Term for the new President will be effective on August 13, 2012. The Chairman of the Board and the President must be current Directors who have served for at least one year; past Directors who have served at least three years; or Honorary National Directors. Any interested candidates please contact AWSA President Gene Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, and copy AWSA VP Barry Young at email@example.com as well.
- 7/11/12 — AWSA Treasurer
- AWSA is in immediate need of a Treasurer. Financial and/or accounting experience is required for this position. The Treasurer is the chief financial officer of AWSA and shall be responsible for the control of AWSA funds and the maintenance of appropriate records. The Treasurer shall be a member of the AWSA Executive Committee. Any interested candidates please contact AWSA President Gene Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- 6/21/12 — Cameron Davis Decision
- A USA Water Ski hearing panel has granted the appeal of Cameron Davis and
ordered that Cameron's Girls 1 tricks score of 40 points be reinstated as
her official score from the 2011 GOODE Water Ski National Championships in
Wilmington, Ill. The official scorebook has been revised to reflect this
correction. Cameron, age 3, becomes the youngest competitor ever to ski at
the Water Ski National Championships.
- 6/8/12 — Recommended Scoring Action For Men 3-6 Slalom Skiers Seeking OPEN MEN Qualification
- Important Notice For All Officials and Skiers From AWSA Rules Committee. Richelle Matli, Chair of the AWSA Rules Committee, has issued a ruling and work around for Men 3-6 Slalom skiers seeking Open Men qualifications. Summary available here. The complete details are in the Judges section for the Chief Scorers to use at tournaments and the information of the membership.
- 6/7/12 — Lucky Lowe Clinic at Dube's July 8
- Lucky Lowe will be doing a clinic on July 8th at 12:00. $ 45.00 per set. If anyone is interested please email or call Susan Merck at 978-375-1684. This clinic will be at Dube's Pond in Hookset, NH.
- News Archives